Travelling during COVID-19
For South Africa, Botswana and Namibia
Make sure that your passport is valid at least 6 months from the end of your planned trip and that you have enough blank pages for visa stamps available inside your passport.
You will also need a copy of your return flight itinerary.
Before starting at a project, please recheck with us whether a Covid-19 vaccination certificate or PCR test will be necessary.
South Africa entry regulations
- you need at least one blank page available for visa stamps
- be vaccinated against COVID-19 and produce a valid vaccination certificate; or
- produce a valid certificate of a negative PCR COVID-19 test, recognised by the World Health Organization, which was obtained not more than 72 hours before the date of departure; or
- produce a valid certificate of a negative antigen COVID-19 test performed by a medical practitioner, registered public health authority or accredited/approved laboratory which was obtained not more than 48 hours before the date of departure; or
- produce a valid certificate of a positive PCR COVID-19 test, recognised by the World Health Organization, for a test date less than 90 days prior to the date of arrival and more than 10 days prior to the date of arrival, together with a signed letter from a health care provider, registered in the country of origin, stating that the person has fully recovered from COVID-19, is not experiencing any new symptoms and is fit to travel.
For the latest information, contact your nearest South African foreign mission, visit the government page or contact us.
Namibia requires the following entrance regulations:
- Make sure to have at least 3 blank pages available in your passport for visa stamps.
- Travellers to Namibia do no longer have to present proof of a Covid-19 vaccination or a negative PCR test on arrival. All Covid-19 related requirements have been removed in view of the current favourable epidemiological situation in Namibia.
- Please note, if you require a PCR test for your onward travel, this can be arranged at the Wildlife Conservation or at the Medical Project. Cost of test must be covered by the volunteer and comes to approximately N$1,700.
Please ensure you have copies of the following documents to show the airport officials on arrival:
- Copy of NWE_COVID-19 invitation letter (which Good Hope Volunteers will share with you once we send the invoice for the booking)
- Travel Itinerary (a return ticketed to show leaving Namibia must be booked before departure). If there are no arrival details printed on the travel information or they are incorrect, please inform us as soon as possible of the correct details.
Botswana is welcoming you!
To reach our project, the best access is via Johannesburg and Polokwane in South Africa. A shuttle service from Polokwane to Alldays will be arranged, where the project staff will collect you.
There are daily flights from Johannesburg to Polokwane. Alternatively, you may take a bus or shuttle from the International Airport OR Tambo at Johannesburg to Polokwane.
- All Covid-19 vaccinated travellers who arrive in Botswana will be permitted to travel freely in and around Botswana. They need to present a valid international certificate for full vaccination against COVID-19, with the use of an approved vaccine.
- All NON Covid-19 vaccinated travellers who arrive in Botswana need a negative PCR test result that is not older than 72 hours and in addition, undergo Covid-19 testing at a port of entry at their own expense.
If negative, they will be allowed to proceed into the country.
If positive, they will be isolated in the district of the port of entry at their own cost and allowed to proceed into the country only after recovery.
For further questions please contact us.