- Experience the joys of a primary school catering to the needs of those children who would otherwise not be able to benefit from education.
- Experience the beauty of African wilderness.
- Learn about old San traditions and culture.
- Combine with some of our add-on projects to experience a complete Namibian conservation package.
- Make new friends from all over the world.
- Exciting add-on projects available for combination.
Discrimination of the San community throughout Namibia, social prejudices and financial difficulties prevent many children from receiving adequate education. In addition, San children are often malnourished and are therefore not well enough to attend school. In addition, many do not speak English and are thus unable to learn effectively. Only one out of five San children attend primary school. The challenges are enormous.
This primary school receives no government funding and is reliant on the generosity of donors and school volunteers to continue its work. Its aim is to reduce poverty by increasing future earning potential for these children and young people. San children here are being sponsored to attend primary and secondary school.
The project supports two forms of education:
Pre-Primary School Education
The primary school offers children a safe and stimulating environment to be in every day, as well as a hopeful future. Coming to school every day is a joy for each child and helps establish a routine for the young children, providing them with stability in their lives.
Mainstream Education for older children
The children now receive a first-class education and integrate socially with children of Afrikaans communities. The initiative covers all the costs for school fees, uniforms, and books, in so doing allowing the children to fully immerse themselves in their secondary education. To keep the children living with their families, they are transported 42km into school and back every day.
Days of involvement:
Weekdays (Monday to Friday); weekends are free, unless a planned weekend school activity takes place.
Hours of involvement:
7:00 - 12:00 school
2:30 – 5:00 sport & extra-curricular activities
Those interested in volunteering at the school, should bring some background knowledge of teaching or educating children or be in the process of becoming a teacher. Volunteers work closely with staff and their main tasks may include:
- Classroom chores (e.g. handing out of assignments, tidying up, preparing daily presentations)
- Child management (e.g. leading/assisting children)
- Presenting a particular activity or classroom task
- Involvement in extra-curricular activities
The primary school follows the Namibian Education Curriculum so the activities and classes will always be in line with what is required.
Anyone joining, helps children gain their biggest asset: education!
This project may be combined with one of our exciting add-on projects. add-on projects
The volunteer accommodation is fixed structured canvas tents, located a short walk from the school.
Two types of accommodation are offered:
- three single beds with en-suite ablutions, electricity, lockable entrance door and lockable bathroom door. There is also a safe included in the room with instructions on how to use the safe.
- two single beds with separate ablutions, electricity with a lockable entrance door. There is also a safe included in the room with instructions on how to use the safe.
The rooms are basic, but the single beds are comfortable; towels and bedding is provided (duvets, pillows and linen). Showers and toilet facilities are shared with either 3 or 4 people and the hot water is heated by solar energy and is therefore sometimes restricted.
Electricity is freely available. However, please be aware that sometimes the electricity supply can be cut off during storms. Power sockets for electrical items are available in communal areas.
Laundry service is also available.
WiFi is available, however the connection may be unstable at times.